She is pecking my leg...

StaceyM

Chirping
12 Years
May 7, 2011
One of our hens , Polly, has started this new behavior. Lately when I come in the yard she runs up to me and pecks at my leg. My husband thinks maybe I have spoiled them with too many treats, and when she sees me she is expecting some scrap delicacy from our dinner salad makings. I can't tell if she is being affectionate or aggressive. Either way it is startling and I would like her to cut it out. Any thoughts on getting her to stop?

I laughed out loud when I saw this because my RIR does the same thing every day! She has been doing it for about a year now and I don't have any idea how to get her to stop. She does it more when I have black pants on as opposed to jeans. I'm wondering if its a treat seeking behavior too...

She is being aggressive and attempting to dominate you. Chickens are either aggressive or submissive, neither is an emotion, affection is.

When mine peck me, I peck(poke them with a finger) them back.
tongue.png

They don't do it so much any more.... They are far more likely to just squat with they see me now.

if it's a gentle peck she is probably just reminding you that she's there, she loves you, and she wants food
tongue.png
if it's hard she is being aggressive and trying to get you to drop any food you migh have. either way treats are usually what chickens are after
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom