She keeps hunching and falling over! HELP!

Northern Chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2018
Near Rhinelander WI
My little sister came out to the coop this morning the see my little silver polish laying on the ground and couldn't get up. We can set her up, but she soons falls over again. This happened the other day, but she was wet from a mud puddle she likes to play in so I warmed her up and she was fine. She can stand if I bring her out of her coop, but she is wobly and keeps putting her wings and head down. I dont have a chicken vet close and it is weekend so they are closed. Everyone else is normal and fine including her sister who does everything with her. What should I do? What do you think is wrong ?
20181013_093947.jpg
20181013_093947.jpg

It could be something like dehydration, coccidiosis, or even Mareks disease, but hard to know exactly. How old is she? Can you get Poultry Cell or NutriDrench vitamins with electrolytes to dose her a few drops at a time? Could she have been kept from food and water? How do the poops look? Offer some chopped egg if she will drink water. Bring her somewhere for warmth if she is chilled. Separate her for the time being to observe her.

It could be something like dehydration, coccidiosis, or even Mareks disease, but hard to know exactly. How old is she? Can you get Poultry Cell or NutriDrench vitamins with electrolytes to dose her a few drops at a time? Could she have been kept from food and water? How do the poops look? Offer some chopped egg if she will drink water. Bring her somewhere for warmth if she is chilled. Separate her for the time being to observe her.
Thalnk you so much for your reply. I have offered her food of all sorts and she will jot eat. Her poops are a little runny. She is seperated and i have a friend coming to do a fecial sample and testing. I have her warming up too! I do not curently have an nutridrench, but I may try that! Thanks agin for your quick reply! She is my little baby and makes ne very conceres when anything is wrong with her!!!

I would especially be concerned about coccidiosis or worms, especially since you are getting a fecal test. Mareks can cause many of these same symptoms. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

If your fecal test finds coccidiosis, get some Corid from your feed store and start treatment in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. If worms are found, give SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound once and repeat in 10 days. Or Valbazen 1/2 ml once and repeat in 10 days.

Thank you so much for all who responded and replied! I am thankful to those who are willing to share some expertice for my little girl. Anyway, the good news is it was diagnosed, the bad news it is worms (round worms). She in really bad shape and it is pretty far gone. I was able to bring her inside and get some water in her earlier this afternoon. Thankfully my friend was able to give me some advice and we are treating her and the rest of the flock. Tonight she started eating and drinking her crop is full! ( it was empty this morning) she ate her dewormer, and is on Chick Cell and Probiotics! She ate allot of her food and has perked up some! She is still hunching, but she hasn't fallen over in a while. We will see how she is in the morning since she was worst this morning. Thank you so much! If you have any advice let me know! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom