She knew where to lay on the first try!!!

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
I am SO amazed at my little australorp!! I overslept and was late this AM going down to do morning chores and when I got there one of my autralorps (the smallest one!) was in a nest box with one of my SF's standing in front of her, looking in like, "what the heck are you DOING in there?"

About five minutes later there was a HUGE racket of squawking from inside the box and then everyone else joined in (a group effort)...a few more minutes of squawking passed and she stood up, and there was the EGG!!! Our first one!!! It was so neat to be able to actually witness it!! I've never been so happy to have overslept.

I never put a golf ball or anything in there and haven't seen the girls even show much interest in the boxes at all (they're 25 weeks old). I figured it would be at least another few weeks before I'd see an egg. What a thrill!!!! It's amazing to me that she just knew to go in there and lay the egg.

Here's some pics:
the egg compared to a quarter-
fe512bf5.jpg

and the egg compared to the quarter and a store-bought egg...it may be smaller than the bought egg, but it's HEAVY!
ec769081.jpg

Can't wait to see what happens next!!

Congratulations to you and your little Australorp!
clap.gif
It is really amazing how they seek out a "cozy spot" to lay. After almost 2 years, I am still in awe of the whole egg-laying process.

My girls are all starting to lay now with about 5 in production so far. Out of all of them, I've only had one floor egg in more than a month. I even free range them. I was worried about them laying eggs all over the place, but I guess they like their nests, because they go there every time!

Back
Top Bottom