She layed an egg...... in my hand!!!

zinkie

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Southern NH
My favorite chicken is a Americana and a bit of a scardie cat. When she is upset, she always comes running to me.
Well today, I saw her frantically trying to make a nest in the bushes so I picked her up and took her to the coop (this may have been her first time laying) and put her into a nest box. Well she dug and turned and dug and went back out of the nest box only to hop back into it. Well this frantic behavior went on for about 10 minutes, other girls sang her the song of encouragement, yet she still didn't settle. I finally took a stool, shut the doors and sat down to be with her. She was so upset and kept squawking. after a few more minutes, she ran over to me, I picked her up and decided to check her vent to make sure she was not in trouble. Well she buried her head under my arm- not the first time- and when I looked at her vent, it was pulsating and then I saw it, a little blue was poking out. And as I sat there, holding her with her head tucked under my arm, butt in the air, she layed a little blue egg into my hand.
Very Cool!

Aw cute but I think it might traumatize me. And as far as the egg song.....it always sounds like they are in pain to me. LOL

I have a chicken that tries to wait for me in the AM to lay her egg. She seems to like to have me watching and then she walks away squawking her song.

And yes, I agree they sound in pain to me, kind of like they are going "What.What.What.What.WHAT."

My favorite chicken is a Americana and a bit of a scardie cat. When she is upset, she always comes running to me.
Well today, I saw her frantically trying to make a nest in the bushes so I picked her up and took her to the coop (this may have been her first time laying) and put her into a nest box. Well she dug and turned and dug and went back out of the nest box only to hop back into it. Well this frantic behavior went on for about 10 minutes, other girls sang her the song of encouragement, yet she still didn't settle. I finally took a stool, shut the doors and sat down to be with her. She was so upset and kept squawking. after a few more minutes, she ran over to me, I picked her up and decided to check her vent to make sure she was not in trouble. Well she buried her head under my arm- not the first time- and when I looked at her vent, it was pulsating and then I saw it, a little blue was poking out. And as I sat there, holding her with her head tucked under my arm, butt in the air, she layed a little blue egg into my hand.
Very Cool!

Wow that must of been an amazing experience!! Sounds like a sweet girl too!

She is sweet. My favorite one. Would like it if I carried her around all day. Or better yet, let her live in the house with us. LOL

Back
Top Bottom