She nests, but no egg

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
I was gone for the week of Dec. 15 to the 23rd, and during that time my husband didn't give my hens supplemental light. The light is back on for about 14 hours a day now. My brown egglayer (not sure of breed but was s'posed to be an olive egger) stopped laying completely and has not resumed, but my 2 olive eggers (who were s'posed to be production blues) have been fairly consistent despite the lack of light-instead of an egg a day from each one I am getting one olive egg a day and an additional olive egg every other day.

My issue is this: is it normal for them to go into the nest box and sit for a while but not lay an egg? One of the olive eggers is doing this now, and half the time without me finding an egg after she vacates the box. I keep looking all over in case she's actually laid her egg somewhere else but still sits in the nest box, but find no egg. Is this what is called being broody? I am not concerned, only curious.

is it normal for them to go into the nest box and sit for a while but not lay an egg?
It can be.
Supplemental lighting should be on a timer so it remains consistent.
She may start laying again, but as long as she's eating/drinking/pooping/moving around ok, I'd not worry.

Back
Top Bottom