She passed away..

Duck_life

Duck Addict
May 14, 2019
Woods of PA
I had made a thread 2 days ago about my lavender orpington, Lavender, at first she showed signs of egg-bound then wry neck, I of course gave her calcium and vitamin E but it just didn't help her..She passed away this morning. I'm not sure what she died of but her neck was crooked her feet were stiff this morning (before she died)although they weren't stiff yesterday.. she was just wobbly She was able to eat on her own and drink with help of course. I don't know about whatever she had but I am worried it might be contagious even though she has had it for 2 1/2 days and no other chicken shows any signs of what she had, I know it is hard to diagnose online and just off details without experiencing it but any guesses as to what happened?

Also, I am picking up some chicks from my feed store this weekend should I keep them away from everyone else until further notice?
Yes of course.
It is a good idea to always quarantine new birds for at least 30 days.
Make sure you change your clothes and wash your hands before you go back and forth between the two different groups of birds.

But you should know that it's pretty impossible for us regular backyard chicken people to do a proper quarantine.
The birds really should be kept no less than a football field away from each other because many chicken diseases travel through dust in the air.

I’m sorry for your loss. I bet she was a sweet and beautiful bird. I agree with Texas Kiki. A necropsy is the best thing. ESPECIALLY with new chicks. Chicks are vulnerable and losing a poor helpless baby may be worse then losing an adult. Don’t get me wrong. Hens and roosters deaths are terrible but seeing something so little and innocent in pain is horrible

I had made a thread 2 days ago about my lavender orpington, Lavender, at first she showed signs of egg-bound then wry neck, I of course gave her calcium and vitamin E but it just didn't help her..She passed away this morning. I'm not sure what she died of but her neck was crooked her feet were stiff this morning (before she died)although they weren't stiff yesterday.. she was just wobbly She was able to eat on her own and drink with help of course. I don't know about whatever she had but I am worried it might be contagious even though she has had it for 2 1/2 days and no other chicken shows any signs of what she had, I know it is hard to diagnose online and just off details without experiencing it but any guesses as to what happened?
:hitSo sorry. We get so attached.

Back
Top Bottom