She really doesn't know she is a chicken....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rooneytune, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    so i adopted a single RIR from a friend of a friend (long story) She has been alone with only people since she was about a week old. [​IMG] She is very sweet and friendly and introducing her to the flock seems to be going ok. She spent her first 2 days in "solitary" (a small pen inside the run) I managed to put her to bed with the big girls last night and they all woke up friendly this morning. At least until I went out to check on everyone. She was very happy to see me, [​IMG] and everyone got their treats, but when I went to leave she tried to follow me out! When I closed the door to the run she went crazy trying to fly up the door. She managed to stick her head into through an small broken wire about 5 feet up the wall and cut her head a little bit., She seems to be ok, but is back in solitary because of her wound. [​IMG] How am I going to teacher her that she is a CHICKEN and therefor needs to stay in the run like everybody else????

2. shakenbake

shakenbake Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    I would give it a few days. She probably doesn't realize that chicken company is a lot better than your company yet. The biggest thing I would worry about is that the others don't pick on her. Other than that, it just takes time.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

She may never understand that she is a chicken - to her, she is a people with unchanging clothes (feathers).

I have a duck who was raised with chickens - he is afraid of ducks! We have his parents, but he was abandoned at hatch and raised with a group of bantam chicks. He has bonded with one of the roosters - he does not have any interest in making ducklings in the spring with other girly ducks - nothing!

eta: Peepers (the duck) is two years old..............he is not changing his mind [​IMG] He sees the ducks daily - but will not interact with them.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have a little pullet that thinks she's a turkey. She doesn't want to be around other chickens unless the turkeys are also there. She has lived with chickens longer than turkeys but I guess she is more impressed with the turkeys than the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by