She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

For me, it's a hobby I would be doing anyway, so if I can supplement it with sales it's just a feather in the cap
It's a hobby for me too. I definitely didn't go into hatching with the mindset I'm going to make money...lol I am hoping though that next year I can cover the cost of feed through egg sales and maybe any extra chicks I decide to sell. Or at least close to covering so that my "hobby" doesn't break me.

When I sell babies I want to drive home with the buyers to be sure that they have a proper environment for them! I wish I could raise them all to adulthood, but I can't. I can sell juvenile chicks and poults, big enough to have been in the coop for a while yet young enough not to have become a real personality, with no issues. And at turkey processing time, if I did not personally participate in the processing, I'd have a hard time because I care if they are killed humanely. Vicious birds, though...no regrets.
I know..lol I think that's the hardest thing for me. Questioning wether they are going to have as good as a home as I would provide for them. I think if I could hatch and sell and know they are going to great "homes" that I wouldn't think twice about it.

You are making it sound like it's a random guess, but it's not. RubyNala has pointed out how I pay attention to things in the background, and that's just how my mind works. Having a hyperactive mind is an advantage sometimes. I have a 142 IQ and scored a 1450 on the SAT, and that's back when the score only went up to 1600, so don't think I'm dumb just because I'm a redneck ;)
Amy and I have talked about how we are the same age, and based on her username I'd say it's safe to assume her birthday is Feb. 3 ;)
Walnut, Friday, NT, and WV have all commented on being 50 or higher, and I'm not going any higher :gig , so use 50 for all of them
Rossfam has posted pics, and based on her vocabulary I would have put her at late 20s to early 30s before she even said
RubyNala I would also put at late 20s, early 30s based purely on the age of the children in her avatar
sjturner has said I am not much older than him, so he is late 30s-40
I had a funny discussion with bantam brood 2 months ago about how he/she was older than I thought, and now we have an actual age, so there's another 50 for the average
gachooks, based on her vocabulary and comedy tastes, is more than likely early to mid 30s
sideWing has posted pics and given the age of his kids, so again I'm saying mid 30s
You and BR post on a thread that runs rampant with kids, and you both still think the world is a happy place, so that automatically puts you younger than 16. Given the fact that you need to tell the authorities when someone says H E double hockey sticks, that drops you below 14

See? It's easy :thumbsup

well heck you missed moi.

Wow - I'm less than 1000 in for my chooks.
Free coop, 15$/25 kg (55 lbs) food, 45$ for silkie trio, $250 in fertile eggs. Currently approx 40 eggs a month, with 2 pullets due to start laying whenever the feel like it. (23 weeks old)
I've spent maybe $100 on my chickens, and then $20 for my pigeon pair. And then I've made $80+ dollars off selling chickens and eggs. I haven't spent a dollar on coop or feed or feeders or waters. Parents and grandparents rock. :D Plus, my pigeons are multiplying through breeding and I can use them to "buy" other pigeons or rabbits from my neighbor.

well heck you missed moi.
You're a woman, so I'm sticking with 25 until you admit otherwise
thumbsup.gif

Honestly, knowing that your daughter just got married, I'd say you are all over the average
hide.gif

I've spent maybe $100 on my chickens, and then $20 for my pigeon pair. And then I've made $80+ dollars off selling chickens and eggs. I haven't spent a dollar on coop or feed or feeders or waters. Parents and grandparents rock.
big_smile.png
Plus, my pigeons are multiplying through breeding and I can use them to "buy" other pigeons or rabbits from my neighbor.
Seriously, in 7 years, I've probably spent over $10K, and if I figured my /hour labor it would be much, much more. It would be the same for everyone, some much less, some much more. Unless you can go to a large scale, it would be tough to actually profit

Wow. $10k? Your poor wife. :lol:
I do see what you mean about labor. I have definitely toiled and labored over my chicks and chickens. Spoiled lil thangs. :gig

We will be doing meat chickens soon for ourselves for the first time. I would like to eventually get more serious into selling chicks and eggs, and maybe meat. Of course I won't do any of the actually killing! :oops: :sick

Back
Top Bottom