she squatted!!! But only 1 time

Vwise507

Songster
Jul 17, 2018
East coast central Florida
FiFi is a 5 month old EE and her comb and wattles started growing like crazy and turned red about a month ago. She squatted for me yesterday morning in a way that seemed like I scared her. She just kind of jumped into the position and froze. I was squatting myself just reaching out and letting whichever pullet walked by to see if they would squat but also cuz I love my babies and just like hanging out with them. Anyways It took my by surprise as she is one of the most flighty of the group. The thing is she hasn’t done it again, im wondering if maybe it wasn’t a real squat or maybe she was just afraid of me or something. I’m home all day and I have tried plenty of times. I guess my question is do they on and off squat at this age before laying. I was under the impression once they start squatting they continue but I have no clue. We also don’t have a rooster. Pic of my gorgeous FiFis face and butt cuz she is my favorite colored chicken ❤️
C681A721-CDE7-4E0A-9A48-AB8659E36D56.jpeg
1E0EA69B-1C4E-4DC9-894B-CA72154EA42F.jpeg

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one with squatter chickens lol. I think sometimes if they get startled or something they do it? If mine aren't paying attention and I come up behind them, they'll sometimes squat. Not all of mine do it though, just a few of them. I don't think it has anything to do with laying. Mine are 4 years old and still sometimes squat if I make a sudden movement behind them or something. They didn't start their squatting thing until maybe 2 years old.
Also, that is a gorgeous chicken you have there! :)

No, ya'll aren't scaring them they're randy and are waiting for you to do your job as a rooster.:old

Hahahahahaha omg I’m dying, that’s hilarious! Hahahaha well now I’m almost offended, cuz clearly fifi wasn’t impressed with my job and isn’t offering again Hahahaha

I guess maybe she will eventually do it again. Thank you!

Well, there is a technique to being a rooster you'll improve.:gig
Hahahahahaha omg I’m dying, that’s hilarious! Hahahaha well now I’m almost offended, cuz clearly fifi wasn’t impressed with my job and isn’t offering again Hahahaha

I guess maybe she will eventually do it again. Thank you!

FiFi is a 5 month old EE and her comb and wattles started growing like crazy and turned red about a month ago. She squatted for me yesterday morning in a way that seemed like I scared her. She just kind of jumped into the position and froze. I was squatting myself just reaching out and letting whichever pullet walked by to see if they would squat but also cuz I love my babies and just like hanging out with them. Anyways It took my by surprise as she is one of the most flighty of the group. The thing is she hasn’t done it again, im wondering if maybe it wasn’t a real squat or maybe she was just afraid of me or something. I’m home all day and I have tried plenty of times. I guess my question is do they on and off squat at this age before laying. I was under the impression once they start squatting they continue but I have no clue. We also don’t have a rooster. Pic of my gorgeous FiFis face and butt cuz she is my favorite colored chicken ❤️ View attachment 1600602 View attachment 1600603
She’s a beauty!
That’s sounds like a real squat. It may have surprised her too! And she might not know why she did it, but
she’ll start doing it more frequently over the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom