she still wont lay grrrrr

1sttimer

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
ok so i went to this chicken swap in marshall MO the other day and i got a red pile rooster and a buff orpington hen the rooster is like two years old and the fastest rooster i have ever seen in my life and the hen is 8 months old. they were free ranged and I dont want anything to get them so i put all of my poultry in a fenced in coop and run. i got her sunday and she wont lay, mom said to give her time to get settled but im anxois and i was wondering how long it would take her to get settled. Also at the swap, the rooster got out of the box and the woman that i bought them from, well her family and i were chasing this rooster over 45 minutes on 5 acres. oh boy was i tired. oh and one time i went and checked her, the rooster was on the nest and the hen was on top of him, poor guy, he had to have been squashed.

i dont have seperate nesting boxes, its like an upstairs and a downstairs with cubbies in between the studs. but my RIRs and BOs never go up there, she pretty much told them that if they bothered her from the day she came home, she was gonna have words with them. but i even put golf balls underneath her and she wont stay on the nest other than to sleep. how will i know if she goes broody???

Well she doesnt need to be broody to lay eggs,some pullets take time to adjust to new places.Your close to me if you went to a Marshall MO sale,use to live there but now im like a 40 min drive from there....

oh thats cool i live about 30 mins from Columbia. so 8 months is considered a pullet??

Back
Top Bottom