She turned on me 😩

illinoishiker

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2019
I have a couple Speckled Sussex. They are get in your face birds. I've decided feeding them treats from my hand is a bad idea. They get aggressive expecting treats. Not attacking; just going for possible treats. The other breeds aren't like that. They want a treat but don't 'attack' me to get it.

Vickischics

BYC Songster & Master Egg Collector!
Premium Feather Member
May 6, 2020
Space Coast of Florida
What about this?
Pull her out of the flock and crate her for a week.
The pecking order will have to adjust.
You would be able to spend singular time with her.
Feeding her when you decide she needs to eat. Picking her up and carrying her around, put your hand on top of her pushing her down to the ground.
But, Always free water.
Would that work to re shuffle the pecking order?

Chicken Heel

Songster
Jun 8, 2019
What about this?
Pull her out of the flock and crate her for a week.
The pecking order will have to adjust.
You would be able to spend singular time with her.
Feeding her when you decide she needs to eat. Picking her up and carrying her around, put your hand on top of her pushing her down to the ground.
But, Always free water.
Would that work to re shuffle the pecking order?
If the hen is the Alpha, all hell may break loose with the remaining ones and once again upon her return to the flock.

Angelique123456

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2020
I can’t believe I’m having to type this, one of my girls just came at me, twice. She had done the same thing a few days ago, but I chalked it up to her trying to grab the treat out of my hand. Today I was standing in the coop tossing scratch out in their run.

I don’t know if this matters, but I was actually wearing the same pants during both cases, the pants are capris so my ankles/lower legs are exposed.

The only changes have been the weather and I’m not spending my entire day outside with them. I have three 30 week old Speckled Sussex. The one that pecked me is the largest and before the shorter days she was the only one laying, but has stopped with the shorter days.

What do I do?! Help!! I know to stand my ground, tried that and got attacked again. Just keep at it?

photo of “injury” 🤪
Show her who’s boss by picking her up and holding every day do longer and longer then she is going to like you

illinoishiker

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2019
Speckled Sussex are just different. Mine have to be involved with everything going on. Can't leave the house door open as they will come right in. They will peek over my shoulder to see what I'm doing when I'm working in the chook house. They get under foot and I stumble over them. They just have to be involved. They will run ahead of the other chickens and peck my hands demanding a treat. I don't hand feed treats anymore. Decided causes the chickens to get pecky esp the SS. I think it sounds cruel to pen her and control feeding. I'm not sure how to break her but wear clothes that will protect you from her pecking and stop the hand feeding treats. Might not fix it though as she might always hope for a treat.

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
She can learn to be more polite towards you!
My very pushy pullet is much improved; still, as the SS are, very interested in everything I'm doing, but not pecking. I watch her, and react when she's thinking over -bold thoughts.
Mary

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
She can learn to be more polite towards you!
My very pushy pullet is much improved; still, as the SS are, very interested in everything I'm doing, but not pecking. I watch her, and react when she's thinking over -bold thoughts.
Mary
And I felt like such a bully stomping around in there yesterday puffing up my chest and poking them 😅 they looked at me like I was crazy...then started pecking my boots 😅 how do I walk that line of showing dominance, but still let them know to not hate me? I know they can tell the difference between my husband and I, they come running when they see me, but not him because he doesn’t really do anything with them. I don’t want to be the “bad guy” but I won’t stand around and be bullied either!

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
I don't 'stomp around', or try to act different in any way. i walk around, talk to them, and expect every bird to get out of my way. That's tricky when 45 birds are all wanting the treats i throw around in the coop, but doable!
I will 'accidently' bump any bird who's in my path, or especially who pecks me, with whatever's in my hand at the time. Consider carrying a stick, for example, as an arm extender. While I'm carrying waterers, it's a bump, and maybe a splash too.
Some birds will jump up on the garbage can next to the one I'm opening, in the coop, with feed, and they will get picked up and moved, or brushed off, by me. I'm not going to have anyone next to my face!
Mary

Top Bottom