She turned on me šŸ˜©

Pics

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I canā€™t believe Iā€™m having to type this, one of my girls just came at me, twice. She had done the same thing a few days ago, but I chalked it up to her trying to grab the treat out of my hand. Today I was standing in the coop tossing scratch out in their run.

I donā€™t know if this matters, but I was actually wearing the same pants during both cases, the pants are capris so my ankles/lower legs are exposed.

The only changes have been the weather and Iā€™m not spending my entire day outside with them. I have three 30 week old Speckled Sussex. The one that pecked me is the largest and before the shorter days she was the only one laying, but has stopped with the shorter days.

What do I do?! Help!! I know to stand my ground, tried that and got attacked again. Just keep at it?

photo of ā€œinjuryā€ šŸ¤Ŗ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 78
One of my pullets this year is entirely too bold, and has pecked my boots several times. This week she grabbed a mouthful of jeans, and that's the entirely too much too! We had a firm chat, and since then I've been very proactive in pecking her first, and generally moving her out of my space. She's better, and it's going to be an ongoing story for a while.
My bird didn't actually attack, as feathers raised and ugly attitude, more of a overly pushy 'gimmie' behavior.
Agree that pictures of your bird, and diet, and do you hand feed?
Mary

Could you post a picture of this attacking hen?
I can, is there anything in particular that I should get? I donā€™t know how to quote yet, so Iā€™ll respond to your other question on this reply. They eat Nutrena layer and occasional table scraps/scratch. I know that it was Peach laying (attacker) because I would often see her in the nesting box and Iā€™d retrieve the egg almost immediately when she left the box. The other two (Gas and Stardew) were a lot later to physically mature than Peach. I figured by the time they were ready to lay, the days were already shorter so they werenā€™t getting enough light as Peach has also stopped.

Back
Top Bottom