She went in wrong nest

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
So, in another post I explained how I'm housing an injured chicken (possibly a maran) with my silkies.

Well, she kept wanting to climb in my tupperware nest box with my broody hen so I moved the nest box.

At some point in the middle of the night, it appears she got ticked that the hen house was moved OR thought the 4 golfballs in the other nest were hers and sat on them keeping them nice and toasty!

The 4 eggs are a little over 1 week along and were cold to the touch.

Do you think they have a chance? I put them back under her and hid the golf balls for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
You never know, some amazing hatch stories get posted here...
lol.png

they could be ok, i'm sure if they do hatch they will be delayed a day.... What is the temp at night where you are ???? Crazy hens !!!!!!!

I think it's been getting in the 60s or 70s at night.

I went and stole 2 eggs and candled them. One had an X on it because I candled all 4 a couple of days ago and that one didn't look like it was developing and it still isn't.

The other one is moving though! YEAH!

Well, I started out with one broody, now I am up to 3 broodies. One isn't even sitting on anything. Everytime big mama gets off her nest, this one climbs on it. I have moved her 3 times now. I am just going to have to give her some eggs, I guess.

Quote:
I have a hen like that !!!! But, I think so does it so she can lay an egg since my broody always picks the "main" nest to hatch eggs in..... Maybe that is why your hen is doing it ??? I would guess so !!!!

Back
Top Bottom