She won't go inside

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I just got 4 adults, barred rocks. At night when I head out to close the door to the coop, there's always one sitting on the water cooler. She just doesn't want to go in. I've had to place her in the coop 3 times now. Is this a behavior that will change or is she just weird and likes sitting outside?

She'll get the idea sooner or later. I used to have one that I would find roosting in the poultry yard every night. She got the idea eventually when I kept putting her in the house. She even realized that if she went in early she got a better roosting spot. That was the clincher. She became the one most likely to enter the coop first at night once she made that realization.

Good luck.

that's what i figured. Just wondered how long it would take. I don't know if it matters for her for the roosting spot since they just sit on the ground. I had bought them from someone who had them living under a truck canopy free ranging, so she probably looks at the roosting pole like "what's that stick?"

I have one who acts the same... all the other birds will go in no problem but we always have to chase her around to get her in the coop. She's almost 6 months. she gets on my nerves and I swear if I ever eat one, she'll be the first to go!
lol.png

I had a few that did the same thing. Well not sit on the waterer but didn't want to go in. I put a dim flashlight in the window so that more light was inside than outside. That cured my problem. Now they all go in while they can see and no flashlight is needed. Took about 3 nights.

Quote:
I have a bird named Dinner. She was named Dinner as a tiny chick because she's always been a pain- a bully, a brute, constantly broody, not to mention a poor example of a GLW. She has long outlived the rest of the original flock. She's nearly 5 now, and I still threaten to toss her in the soup pot at least once a week. I swear she rolls her eyes at me and scoffs whenever I say it, though.

Quote:
That's a bad habit to let them get into. Birds are pretty much incapable of anything once the sun sets, so that sets them up as the perfect meal for predators. I would really recommend that you lock them up at night. If not, I fear you may be here in a couple months telling how you lost half your flock to a night time predator.

Good luck.

Quote:
That's a bad habit to let them get into. Birds are pretty much incapable of anything once the sun sets, so that sets them up as the perfect meal for predators. I would really recommend that you lock them up at night. If not, I fear you may be here in a couple months telling how you lost half your flock to a night time predator.

Good luck.

I know. I'm actually thinking of building an addition to the coop. The inside-the-coop girls and the on-the-roof girls don't get along and I think everyone needs a little more space.

Back
Top Bottom