She won't lay in the box!

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
The first hen who was laying doesn't do it in the nesting boxes. She does it in the shavings in the coop. So I have to sift through it daily to look for eggs. I don't want to do that. I've been placing the eggs in various boxes and leaving them in there for a few days, still eggs in the shavings.

Should I take out all but a little of the shavings to really discourage it?

the nesting boxes are lined with carpet, a method I've used before with success.

I am curious because I have the same problem also. I let
Mine free range too at times and wonder if they are going to lay around my yard in random spots

That might help- taking out the shavings and maybe adding hay/straw to the boxes will appeal more to her? Do you have any ground level nest boxes? I use the compressed pellets (pine) for the floor. Even with the complete lack of appeal of that bedding for a nest, 11 boxes on multiple levels and varying sizes full of beautiful straw, and 14 other chickens that lay in the boxes faithfully, I still have one that is dedicated to the corner of the coop, but at least it's always in the same place.

If she's always in the same basic area, maybe start up a litter box nest (i.e. a cat litter box with hay/straw or even shavings) and see if she doesn't like having higher sides to make a better nest in and slowly move the box?? I'm planning to try that with my errant pullet but I have to relocate my watering system first- not high on the list at the moment. But, there are a couple ideas.

Who knows what goes on in those chicken brains!

Back
Top Bottom