shed for hatching?

Chy1820

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Does anyone have a shed or building just for incubating and hatching? I've searched online but all I found was converting a shed into a coop. We are thinking of building a small shed to house the incubator and brooder as we don't have anywhere to put one and my boyfriend wants the chicks out of the house. Pictures would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a shed or building just for incubating and hatching? I've searched online but all I found was converting a shed into a coop. We are thinking of building a small shed to house the incubator and brooder as we don't have anywhere to put one and my boyfriend wants the chicks out of the house. Pictures would be appreciated.

I use the end bedroom of a older camper---has a door to the outside---this room has the 2 incubators you see in my pic and a factory brooder. Then I have another building----that has 2 more cabinet incubators and a factory brooder, then a 74 model school bus that had many brooders (over 20) in it. Then I have ground brooders/hovers where I can move 2 to 4 week old chicks to the ground and still give them heat when they need it. A lot of chicks make a lot of feather dust so if you build something think of that and build it where its easier to clean. How I would build a "chick" room would be according to how cold or hot it is where I live and according to how many chicks I plan to have in this room and How long I plan for them to be in it??

Thank you PD-Riverman for your reply. Sadly the house we live in isn't insulated (old house) or we would use a bedroom. Reason why we thought about building an insulated shed to house the incubator and brooder. Nothing really big, just one cabinet incubator. We live in VA so during the summer most likely will have to have AC, don't plan to hatch once it gets colder. We had a cabinet incubator about 2 years ago but couldn't keep the temperature right since my mom and sister keep messing with the temperature in the house.

Last edited:
My friend I bought some Birds off of has a shed he uses strictly for hatching and brooding.....He is very successful with his set up.....I'm sure yours will be great also......

Good luck.....Happy Hatching......;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thank you PD-Riverman for your reply. Sadly the house we live in isn't insulated (old house) or we would use a bedroom. Reason why we thought about building an insulated shed to house the incubator and brooder. Nothing really big, just one cabinet incubator. We live in VA so during the summer most likely will have to have AC, don't plan to hatch once it gets colder. We had a cabinet incubator about 2 years ago but couldn't keep the temperature right since my mom and sister keep messing with the temperature in the house.

I am in SC and I do not heat or cool the out buildings(but that can be good if You need it) that has the incubators, BUT they are pretty much shaded all day by the tree's in the summer. I hatch year round---was doing about 200 to 300 a week for a while. In the coldest part of winter the incubator and brooder keeps the room temp up some but I have covered the top and sides of the incubator and hatcher with a thick old comforter. Summer I just open the windows and doors. I never have a problem with steady temp. My thermostats keep that steady. I usually hatch 98 to 100% in the cabinets 99.9% of the time.

Last edited:
That's good to know. We planned on putting it in the woods so it would be shaded in the summer. The AC was more for back up in case it got too hot. Are your incubators digital?

Back
Top Bottom