Shed in a box for coop?

brandik1985

Chirping
Jun 23, 2015
I'm moving and have no place to put my 7 bantam chickens. They are currently at my moms in a horse stall turned chicken coop. I'm super tight on money. I saw this shed at tsc on clearance for $90. I was wondering what your thoughts are to make it into a chicken coop for the winter? I have a large rabbit hutch (8ft longx3ft tallx3ft deep) where the whole front opens on that I plan on putting inside for their house/roosting spot. It's only wire so it wouldnt work by it self outside for the winter. I planned on putting chicken wire on the poles before the cover goes on and I will be adding their previous run (dog kennel, 13ftx7x6ft tall) to this so they can still go outside. I live in west Michigan so we get a lot of lake affect snow and can get temps below 0.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181013-103652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181013-103652_Chrome.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 123
I'm moving and have no place to put my 7 bantam chickens. They are currently at my moms in a horse stall turned chicken coop. I'm super tight on money. I saw this shed at tsc on clearance for $90. I was wondering what your thoughts are to make it into a chicken coop for the winter? I have a large rabbit hutch (8ft longx3ft tallx3ft deep) where the whole front opens on that I plan on putting inside for their house/roosting spot. It's only wire so it wouldnt work by it self outside for the winter. I planned on putting chicken wire on the poles before the cover goes on and I will be adding their previous run (dog kennel, 13ftx7x6ft tall) to this so they can still go outside. I live in west Michigan so we get a lot of lake affect snow and can get temps below 0.

That looks great! If you need sky predator protection, throw some bird netting over it all! Gonna look great! Chickens will appreciate you.

I think you could make it work with some care.

I live in Lake Effect Land too......not sure how that would hold up to snow load, would be good to have something to keep it cleared off. A plastic bladed roof rake is a good thing to have, I hacked and slashed one here that's held up pretty well and has saved many a cave in on my 10x10 metal sheds. Made the roof rake after one of the sheds caved.

Chicken wire might not cut it, 2x4 welded wire would be better for snow support as well as keeping preds from chewing thru. Be very careful to get all sharps from wire pointed down before putting cover on, don't want any holes.

Ventilation, as well as condensation, might be an issue too.

Does your kennel have a solid roof?

I think you could make it work with some care.

I live in Lake Effect Land too......not sure how that would hold up to snow load, would be good to have something to keep it cleared off. A plastic bladed roof rake is a good thing to have, I hacked and slashed one here that's held up pretty well and has saved many a cave in on my 10x10 metal sheds. Made the roof rake after one of the sheds caved.

Chicken wire might not cut it, 2x4 welded wire would be better for snow support as well as keeping preds from chewing thru. Be very careful to get all sharps from wire pointed down before putting cover on, don't want any holes.

Ventilation, as well as condensation, might be an issue too.

Does your kennel have a solid roof?
The shed I did get has a rounded top. So I'm hoping the snow will fall off easier. The kennel has an open top with chicken wire going across it.
As for ventilation, I haven't figured that out yet. I'll have to see how the top goes over it. It has the end panels go on first then the main top goes on last. I might beable to wedge some type of vent in before strapping it down. How big of a vent and how many should I use?

The shed I did get has a rounded top. So I'm hoping the snow will fall off easier.
That should definitely help..but I have a hoop coop (8' wide and 6" tall) that still needs clearing if snow starts to stick, but much easier to clear than the sheds.
Rounded top might help with any condensation too, should will roll down the inside of cover rather than just dripping.

How big of a vent and how many should I use?
Have no idea.... you'll have to play it by eye, so to speak.
Wonder if tops of end covers could be opened a tad?
Not sure how they attach, am assuming both end covers are separate from top.

Get lots of straw ,it will keep the floor warm and you can stack bales around on the windy side outside of tent.

You can give them a huddle box too , like a nesting box that they all fit in up high,

Looks like fun ,
Good find .

Back
Top Bottom