Shed to Coop Conversion Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a picture of my “old” run. The arrows are pointing to the roof frame. Boy was it heavy.
1F1E63AB-3A7A-48EC-BC1C-FA9E01CC0D78.jpeg

Yup I built it :D. I sold it to my family friend when I had to rehome my previous flock. I’m building another one the same size and I’m using the same corrugated roofing panels for the roof for the new run.

The new run will be built out of 2”x3”s instead of 2”x4”s and will be assembled from 4 foot wide panels that are 6 feet tall, except for the front wall which will be 7 feet tall.

So my mom just sent me pictures that she took of my aunt’s shed and I have to say the shed isn’t looking too good :(
As you can see in the circled areas there is rot and the doors are sagging
EB95CDFA-4B9A-4981-B884-0F6DEF32A243.jpeg

This next side has the whole side rotted away and you can see that the wood on the shed doors is peaking and the doors will likely need to be replaced :th
C4717809-20D2-4C11-9AC7-838AE2467F3F.jpeg
The back has moss growing on it and it’s rotted and there’s a whole in the lower right corner
6849C415-1C22-4A15-898F-B511CE2C334F.jpeg
This is the best side out of the whole shed :barnie
C8A7E72A-7E22-4924-9E0E-3CCD94729CFB.jpeg
The shed was locked so I don’t even know what the interior looks like! If I decide to restore this shed it will take a lot of time and funds—all walls will have to be replaced with plywood and some exterior of some sort. The roof is going to be replaced regardless so I thought bk I’m going to reside and possibly refloor this shed. My aunt’s shed is sitting on cinder blocks which I will take when I go to clean out her yard for her. The wooden fencing looks in bad condition as well. :th

Last edited:
Hi there, we did a similar thing. We used an old existing shed. It works great and its plenty of space for the chickens. I suggest cleaning and repainting the shed first thing to keep moisture from causing damage and to prohibit mold. Also, be careful where you cut in your windows. I made sure none of the windows and ventilation I cut in were directly in line with the roosting bars we added. Good luck!

Just saw your most recent photos. You're probably better off framing a new shed yourself and raising it up off the ground than to use that old thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    782.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom