Shed to coop help

We don't get many days over 90. Just a few days here and there throughout summer. Our particular location, we don't get much wind, just nice breezes, even in winter. We're mostly blocked by a section of woods at one end and a lot of other trees around our property. The shed doors face South East.

Sounds like you couldn't ask for a better place to have a chicken coop and the southeast face is about as perfect as you can get for a mild climate that doesn't get so horribly hot as it does down here.

Would I have to bait it all year?

The theory is that you bait it in the beginning to teach the bears, etc. "This HURTS!" and then you only need to bait it again if you see signs of a new predator presence in the area.

Sounds like you couldn't ask for a better place to have a chicken coop and the southeast face is about as perfect as you can get for a mild climate that doesn't get so horribly hot as it does down here.

The theory is that you bait it in the beginning to teach the bears, etc. "This HURTS!" and then you only need to bait it again if you see signs of a new predator presence in the area.
Okay great! So with my climate in mind, would I still need to add more ventilation than the triangular cutouts and long horizontal windows on each side, and the door cut out as I drew on a previous photo I posted? If so, what more should I be adding?

Okay great! So with my climate in mind, would I still need to add more ventilation than the triangular cutouts and long horizontal windows on each side, and the door cut out as I drew on a previous photo I posted? If so, what more should I be adding?

In your climate that might work just right. You'll know if the coop's temperature and humidity are the same inside as out.

Okay perfect, thank you!

What type of flooring and bedding would be best with the humidity and frequent rain?

As long as you've got plenty of ventilation and shelter all your vents with roof overhangs, top-hinged window covers, awnings, etc. the inside should stay dry.

I didn't put anything on the flooring for the Little Monitor Coop and it's fine. A lot of people use a layer of cheap sheet vinyl or paint their floor with Blackjack 57.

I'm a fan of Deep Bedding -- I wrote an article about it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

There are a lot of other methods that work.

Back
Top Bottom