Sheep eating feathers

Bertram

In the timeout corner
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2023
Has anyone had this happen to them? My one lamb just ripped out and ate a mouthful of turkey feathers. The adult ewes have eaten feathers too but it's been a while since I've seen them do it.

My lambs and sheep also share a pasture with chickens. Every once in a while, if a chicken is very close to them and "bothering" them, the sheep will yank a couple tail feathers out. I have not personally seen them eat the tail feathers, but would not be surprised if they did seeing as lambs are very mouthy and like to nibble/eat everything they see.
I would not see it as an issue unless it becomes a habitual thing for the lamb to do. I'm assuming the turkey is okay?

She's fine. This particular lamb is notorious for eating things he shouldn't. His show tags, feathers, old plywood, animal crackers, cereal...

Not me, but I've been on farms where more than feathers were eaten. If you ever catch your sheep eating a whole bird or some other small animal, check your feed. Truth is there's not really such a thing as a pure herbivore in the animal kingdom. The quickest way to get needed nutrients is through animal protein, and deer, rabbits, sheep, etc. will all turn opportunistic carnivore if they're lacking something in their diet. Just something to know!

My goats would occasionally rip out a mouthful of feathers from a passing hen. The hens didn't appreciate it, but the goats never suffered any ill effects from the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom