Sheep or Goats?

Sheep aren't nearly as active as goats. A 4 foot woven wire fence will keep them in pretty well. They aren't prone to jumping or climbing nearly as much as goats are.

I'd love to see my sheep try to climb on a car!

Quote:
Those are SO cute! What breed are they?

These are Katahdins and Katahdin/St. Croix sheep. As for climbing on cars? They do a number on my lawn furniture but they really don't seem inclined to mount just any obstacle.

These Kat sheep are the greatest.....never attempt to escape my perimeter fencing but do not do well being separated from each other. Tried to isolate one in a birthing jug and had to have the other two up my hindside and going crazy because they couldn't be in there with their noses in everything!

Make no mistake...if they want to, they can jump. I've seen a ram do a standing jump over 5 ft. side panels out of my pickup and land like a butterfly. Couldn't even hear him! My gals can jump clear over my son's head at a dead run and he is 5'11".

A ram when separated from the girls, especially in the back of a pick up, will do anything to escape. I haven't heard of many sheep, Kats or otherwise doing a running jump of over 5 feet unless they were really scared or seperated or something like that.

Hair sheep are an entirely different matter than hair sheep. They are closer to goats as far as jumping and climbing goes. They also have different care regarding hygene and tail docking and such.

My little Finns are just as calm as can be accept Ninja, the eternal jerk. They don't even test the fence and they can't get up onto anything without help most of the time. Mostly the fitting stand is the only thing they climb on and only then with some help.

Ninja did manage once to jump the fence. At the gate, which is 4 foot tall plywood. She got stuck at the top and had to be helped over the other side. This was in the catch pen for sheering time and she was by herself. My other sheep couldn't even make it to the top when they tried it.

Last edited:
Mine are! They just kind of wander around mowing the lawn all day. No fence jumping, no climbing up on things, nice tough hooves and nobody's been sick yet. The ram is a shy sweetheart and the ewes are all very docile/friendly. In a few weeks I'll be able to tell you how they lambed, but supposedly the blackbelly cross has previously lambed triplets with no problem.

Hair sheep are extremely easy. I certainly wouldn't have them if they were not....the older I get the less tolerance I have for wasted time and extra trouble in my life. Mine are, like pardygwyn's, very docile and sweet.....mostly just looking for that next bit of food and will follow you around in hopes you will magically produce some!
big_smile.png

My ram lamb is a love bug and his daddy was before him....just love to be scratched and hugged. My girls followed me into the house one day when the back door didn't shut quickly enough....these sheep are nearly human!
roll.png

I just picked up our hair sheep lambs (twins born in April) from the butcher, they are fantastic tasting, mild, tender yummy! I love my hair sheep, everything that has been said about them already is exactly how I feel
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom