Sheep With Red Lump on Lip

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I’m working with animals at a summer camp, and I noticed that one of the sheep (named Oreo) has a large, red inflammation on his upper lip.

I have not had a chance to physically examine it, but I thought I’d check with you guys to see if any of y’all have advice or know what’s going on.

I’m interested in veterinary medicine, so this is quite interesting to me.

I’ve let my supervisors know, and we are currently monitoring him. If it continues to get worse, then we will have a vet take a look.

He is still eating, drinking, and walking.

Anyway, any advice on what it could be or things to do is awesome and greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6427.jpeg
    IMG_6427.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
I'd definitely make totally sure he can eat okay. Do you know if it's on his lip or on his gums? My first thought was a tooth abscess. Hope it's not something like Foot-and-mouth Disease.

I'd definitely make totally sure he can eat okay.
Okay, I'll check that tomorrow morning when I get the chance. I did see he was grazing on some grass, but I'll make sure to get another look.
Do you know if it's on his lip or on his gums?
I do not, from what I could tell it was his lip, but gums is a plausible idea.
My first thought was a tooth abscess. Hope it's not something like Foot-and-mouth Disease.
I hope it's not either.

Unfortunately, I was very busy today and wasn’t able to take a good look. He seems to be the same, if not a bit better.

He’s definitely eating and drinking which is very good.

I will hopefully be able to look closer tomorrow after work.

Just thought I would update. While I haven’t seen Oreo for a while, the size of the lump has decreased. The vet came and took a look, and it’s not cancer, thankfully! Also, just for funsies, I did a drawing of Oreo

Attachments

• 71653906147__219CC4F8-4C6B-4CF2-815F-51ADE3099A18.jpeg
    71653906147__219CC4F8-4C6B-4CF2-815F-51ADE3099A18.jpeg
    590 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom