Shelf Liner in Bator...pros/cons and does anyone use this?

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
I washed out my hatcher yesterday and let it sit in the sun yesterday/today...now I'm trying to get it set up for my next hatch this week (only 2 eggs survived out of this one up to this point. 8 were shipped-4 were broken when received-2 scrambled by UPS... but these 2 have been growing well since...)

So anyhow, the one thing I'd like to change if possible is the babies feet getting stuck in the metal mesh on the bottom of the hatcher. I'm also concerned by sharp edges etc. I was thinking about how so many people recommend using the shelf liner in the brooder....well why not the hatcher/bator as well!

Here's how I have it set up now...

102_0635.jpg

Here are the pros I can see:
-Protects tiny feet
-Protects new babies from sharp edges
-Gives some padding when they first fumble around.
-May keep eggs from rolling around as much.
-Help with clean-up...yuck!

Cons:
-Possible toxins from this stuff being warmed up (but does it really get hot enough for that to happen and it's almost the same temp in the brooder...)
-Could it possibly retain moisture/heat?

And that's really all I could think of for cons...does anyone else have any ideas? I have the hatcher warming up right now.

Last edited:
I have used it in mine and not had any problems. Plus I like the easy of clean up with it. I have two and when the one hatch is done. I toss the dirty one in the washing machine. Then set the bator up for the next hatch with the second one.

I used it for my last hatch and it was GREAT! I would only recommend getting a lighter color. Mine is black and I have to use a flashlight to see anything in there...lol. I'm going to get white next time. It makes it so easy to clean up and they're washable!

I use it in the incubator, really helps with cleaning and you can get it at the dollar store so I
just toss it out and get a new piece for each hatch. I do wash it with bleach solution even when it's new though. I don't put it in until I take the eggs out of the turner on Day 18.

Nancy

I also use it !! It's great stuff and makes clean up so much easier. Someone once told me they wash it with a small amount of soap and bleach and re use. I just toss and use new, the stuff is pretty cheap. Ive seen it at the dollar store a few times !!
Bet you will like it if you use it.

I also use it! I have done it both ways, actually. The first time I used my bator, I didn't use it and a chick actually got its little wing caught on the edge of the wire. The chick frantically peeped for hours and my husband kept reassuring me that all was well and to not open the bator lid, as everyone had said not to while the hatch was in progress. Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer and then realized that the poor little thing had been hung up on that wire the whole time. I have used the shelf liner since! It not only prevents the issue I mentioned, but the clean up is soooooooo much easier! You'll be glad that you used it.
smile.png

Oh yeah...wouldn't hatch without it. Also, I use it in the brooder if I have a chick that is having trouble getting their legs under them. I have a baby with slightly splayed legs and I'm keeping the three from this hatch on it. I just switched to shavings after 2 weeks on the rubberized shelf liner.

Back
Top Bottom