shell has peeled off, white membrane exposed, drop of blood - is chick OK?

Broody_Mama

Songster
5 Years
May 2, 2018
Basically, the title.

I have a chick trying to hatch (can hear it chirping) from under a broody hen. The shell has peeled mostly off from around the now-exposed white membrane, which seems weird to me. The membrane looks thick, rubbery and very white, but I can also see a little drop of blood. There is a hole in it and can see movement, so I know the chick is trying to get out.

I'm concerned because I've never seen a shell peel away like that and I'm worried this is a sign of a problem. I'd post a picture, but the broody hen is VERY protective and I was lucky to be able to see even what I saw. Should I do anything, or just let nature take its course?

Here is a pic of my broody and the other chick that hatched this morning.

Attachments

• adorbs.jpg
    adorbs.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 84
I would just leave the chick alone for a bit and see what happens. A bit of blood is ok, as long as it's only a little bit, and the membrane is normally white, so that sounds normal too.

Thanks... I'm going to just let it ride out. Unfortunately, it's not looking too hopeful right now, as realizing it's the chicks foot where the hole is and the head is up top where there is no hole. It doesn't look like there has been any progress since this morning, although the chick is still alive. Hoping she/he makes it, but bracing myself for a dead chick at this point.

Sad update - chick was still stuck in the membrane this morning, so I carefully helped it out with a moist warm cloth. It's insides were on its outside. Almost immediately, the broody started to cannibalize her, so I culled the chick. First time I've had to do that and I pray to God the last time. It's 8:30 AM here and I need a drink :(

Thanks, ladies. A couple others successfully hatched for this hen this morning, plus two hatched under my other broody - so sadness has turned to back to joy on the farm :)

(pretty sure some egg swapping happened along the way, but loving the color contrast of the chicks to the hens!)

Attachments

• PXL_20210716_150009672.jpg
    PXL_20210716_150009672.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20210716_134036247.jpg
    PXL_20210716_134036247.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom