Shell-less (and membrane-less!) eggs?

Daisho

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2024
Hello, my about 1 year old golden comet has been very inactive today and hasn’t moved hardly all day. I went to go check up on her about an hour ago and she laid a runny poop, the just pooped out an egg without shell and membrane. Couldn’t get a picture due to the other hens eating it so quickly. Fed her some watered down chicken feed and some cooked eggs with shell in them. She refused to drink water and is now back to standing still (the photo). Should I go buy some calcium pills to give to her?

Attachments

• IMG_4502.jpeg
    IMG_4502.jpeg
    722.9 KB · Views: 20
Forgot to mention we did get a solid egg from her this morning with a fully hard shell, so she is not egg-bound (I think).

What do you feed, including treats? Do you provide oyster shell available all the time in a separate dish? Yes, calcium citrate +D3 can help, give her one every day for five days. Just pop it in her beak and she'll swallow it down.

I don’t have the exact feed bag because I put the feed in a sealed bucket and toss the bag out, but I feed the hens (6 total) about two or three small handfuls of mealworms to get them back into the run everyday. I believe I am using a generic shell-strengthening feed that I bought at Tractor Supply. I do not supply oyster shells, but I’m think about buying them soon. Thank you so much for your help!

I’ve looked online for some pills to overnight ship, and I’ve found a few. Which ones do you think are best? Or do you have a go to one I should get?

Attachments

• IMG_4504.png
    IMG_4504.png
    743.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4503.png
    IMG_4503.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 0
Okay, I’ll assess the situation tomorrow and see if I need to go out and buy the one at Walmart you recommended. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom