Shell-less egg and possible lash??

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Okay, I think I’m looking at lash egg, can anyone confirm? It’s soft and kinda mucousy??

I have 3 known *new* layers right now. One has been laying for about 4 weeks, another for 2, and the third about a week. I got a fourth egg today, without a shell. There was this yellow wad of gunk next to it.

Can too much light cause a shell-less egg? Yesterday some of my chickens were stalling going into the coop area and it was dark, so I turned on the set of fairy lights that are inside the coop, so they could see to get in and get settled when we turned off our flood lights. I forgot to go out and turn them off, so they had lights on all night 😬

I feed them starter/grower mostly, sometimes an all-flock pellet if it’s cheaper at the time. They have 24/7 access to oyster shell, so there shouldn’t be a calcium issue. I’ve read this can sometimes just happen with new layers, so I’m hoping that’s all that is.

But the gunk- can that be a normal new layer thing also, or should I be concerned? How can I tell which hen laid this??

F47D25FA-2546-412C-B0D2-05E5E16214E1.jpeg

Ugh. Well I forgot that I had put it into the yuck pile BEFORE cleaning out the duck pen, so there’s no way of easily finding it now. I will definitely keep an eye out for more, and will cut into anything else weird I come across.

Thanks for your help y’all! I’ll update here if I find anything else

Back
Top Bottom