Shell-less egg breaking inside hen

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
An egg without a shell broke inside my 1 year old bantam hen… she tried to lay it out but I ended up having to pull it out. She’s soaking in a warm epsom salt bath to get any of the remaining whites and yolk stuck on her butt and vent, it was pretty nasty. I don’t see any egg shells or any membrane leftover in her vent. What should I do?! I’ve never had this happen before I’ve only owned chickens for 2-3 years. I’m going to give her some crushed up eggshells from another chickens egg because I don’t have any oyster shells or other calcium supplements on hand. Should I give her antibiotics? I’ve tried posting about this on medical emergencies but no replies yet so I also wanted to post on here for more immediate answers. Thank you to whoever can provide some info

It doesn't matter where you post, either the right people will be on or they won't. Do your neighbors have any calcium supplements?
What's her diet?

It doesn't matter where you post, either the right people will be on or they won't. Do your neighbors have any calcium supplements?
What's her diet?
Her diet is nature wise 16% layer pellets. I just ordered some oyster shells for chickens. I noticed she seemed lethargic and she just passed another shellless egg that broke. I have no idea what’s going on I’m so scared she’ll get sick because of this. I have her some crushed up eggshells yesterday but that didn’t seem to help at all. She also isn’t eating as much today and is just laying down on the floor. I’ve given her some antibiotics (baytril) and she’s been drinking an unusual amount of water and only wants to eat seeds

How is your hen?I am not very experienced, but I do know, as previously suggested she needs a tablet of calcium. I don’t really have much experience in this, but I felt bad. You didn’t get much response because there’s so many experts out there. Your post must’ve been overlooked. If your hand is still suffering, I would repost under emergencies and be specific the problem in the heading. Good luck to you when I wish I could be of more help

Back
Top Bottom