Shell-less egg. First egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuranoFarms, Aug 2, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I got a shell-less egg yesterday. I found it on top on the brooder roof inside the coop. I have several girls laying now, but they use their nest boxes. Well....the silkies use a different one then the rest cause its on the floor. The rest of the girls use 2 of the 3 boxes on the wall (nobody like box #3 [​IMG]) but all in boxes! I got 2 eggs from a new layer this past week....but in the box!

I have 2 other girls who are about ready to start laying and they both hang out on top of the brooder. I found the shell-less egg in the poo pile on top of the brooder. So.....is it safe to assume it was one of these 2 who laid it? I'm thinking maybe she thought she had to poo since she's never laid an egg before?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Give them Oyster Shell to prevent soft shelled eggs!

3. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Its normal for a beginner layer to lay soft shell or shellless eggs... i agree add oyster shell to boost calcium but its nothing to worry about [​IMG] just make sure if any other shelless eggs are layed you get them out of the coop as soon as possible so the birds dont get the taste of egg... and possible begin egging them

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Thanks. They have oyster shell in a small feeder by their regular feed. Its the odd location that has me thinking its a first egg. All my other hens laid normal first eggs, in the boxes.

5. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    One of my RIR did this too. Not in the layer box either. Happened right after I got them when they started laying. Haven't had another since. First few weeks got a couple double yolkers too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by