Shell less egg...hmmmmm

madeintexas806

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2015
This is the oddest thing. I have 2 BO hens and 1 rooster. One hen is laying...well had been for about a week and then yesterday I found this egg in the middle of yard with no shell. Yolk still full untorn white. What do yall think it coukd be? Today no eggs at all. Also one of my hens would just lay there until finally my rooster went iver and did his thing and then she finally got up and acted like a normal chicken. Answers please.

It's likely because she is a new layer. I should add that the hens should be on a layer feed and have oyster shells on the side in a separate dish (not mixed into feed) This will help replenish calcium they use up in the formation of shells and aid in preventing future occurrences.

Thank you so much. Inam guessing there is all different kinds of shell less. Because that pic dont look like mine. I wish I could figure out how to upload the pic I have. Anyways thank you for helping. My hen is about a year old. Both of them just barely laying. They laid maybe 10 eggs before winter started and that was it until about a week ago. I feed them layer feed with chicken scratch. And sometimes oyster shell. This chicken thing is not as easy as I thought :/

Hi, I agree that new layers take a while to get their system sorted out and the appearance of new eggs can differ greatly. As for your hen sitting down until your roo does his thing I'd say that if she is squatting with her wings lifted slightly from her body then she asking for the roo to get on with it. As you have only two hens it may suggest he's not a typical roo because normally a roo will harass just two hens. Typically the suggested ratio is around 8 to 10 hens per rooster to cut down on over-mating.

Ct

Thank you so much. Inam guessing there is all different kinds of shell less. Because that pic dont look like mine. I wish I could figure out how to upload the pic I have. Anyways thank you for helping. My hen is about a year old. Both of them just barely laying. They laid maybe 10 eggs before winter started and that was it until about a week ago. I feed them layer feed with chicken scratch. And sometimes oyster shell. This chicken thing is not as easy as I thought
hmm.png
There are different kinds of shelless eggs....and a pic would definitely help.

As your bird is not a new layer there is probably another reason.
Shelless eggs can also happen when they are slowing down, or starting back up after, around a molt or for the winter because of less daylight.
They can also happen once in a while as a glitch or stress related reaction.

But one thing I see is the layer feed with scratch.....they may not be getting enough protein and/or calcium with that combo.
It's a good idea to have oyster shell available at all time in a separate container, so they can eat it as they need it.
Are your other birds laying just fine?

Last edited:

Hopefully this pic helps. My silkie is laying just fine. One every other day right on schedule. But these two BO are just odd. They were 4 months old when I got them. They are not quite a year yet. My mistake. Anyways hopefully the pic will help. Thanks again.

Yep, have seen pics of those before.
Is it happening all the time in one or both birds or just this one time?

You said.... " One hen is laying...well had been for about a week and then yesterday I found this egg in the middle of yard with no shell. "
Had she only been laying for a week...when you first got her? Starting up laying again after a molt?....?

No this is the only time this has happened. And yes I think only one is laying at this time. At the end of summer they both laid. And then all of sudden nothing. Laid for about 2 weeks and that was it. One started laying again about a week ago and then I found this and have not seen anymore eggs since. To me it is just odd. That egg really freaked me out. Lol

Oh and no they had not yet laid when I first got them. Took them about 2 more months. When I got them they were still making the chick sound.. Not yet sounding like a hen.

Back
Top Bottom