shell-less eggs and diarrhoea

Mar 1, 2021
we have a chicken whose just over a year old and she has never laid a proper egg, its always without a shell and not very frequently, she also is having really watery almost entirely liquid poo. our other chickens always laid rock-hard eggshells and now she has grit availableto her. could it be a parasite? she's always had fluboven worming medicated feed so I am at a loss
I would appreciate some help in what I can do make her healthier

Hmm....
Firstly, it sounds like she has a calcium deficiency. I myself have a very large hen who always needs some calcium supplements.
Therefore, you should look at giving her some plain crushed Tums mixed in Pedialyte or water. Give her this twice a day for a few days, and see if she starts to lay normal eggs.

Please note that once she starts to lay normal eggs, you should ween her off of the calcium mix. Tums is not good for hens long term, but in emergencies its ok.

If she starts to lay shell-less eggs again, give her the calcium mix again for a few days.

Secondly, for the long term, you should look at adding a vitamin supplement to her water/feed to give her a boost every day. Also, if you are giving her a lot of treats, such as mealworms, yogurt, scratch, etc... It causes diarrhea.

If she is not acting lethargic, she should be okay.

She needs more calcium. Which feed do you provide your chickens? Their feed can have a big affect on them too. Make sure their feed has enough calcium inside of it.

Hmm....
Firstly, it sounds like she has a calcium deficiency. I myself have a very large hen who always needs some calcium supplements.
Therefore, you should look at giving her some plain crushed Tums mixed in Pedialyte or water. Give her this twice a day for a few days, and see if she starts to lay normal eggs.

Please note that once she starts to lay normal eggs, you should ween her off of the calcium mix. Tums is not good for hens long term, but in emergencies its ok.

If she starts to lay shell-less eggs again, give her the calcium mix again for a few days.

Secondly, for the long term, you should look at adding a vitamin supplement to her water/feed to give her a boost every day. Also, if you are giving her a lot of treats, such as mealworms, yogurt, scratch, etc... It causes diarrhea.

If she is not acting lethargic, she should be okay.
thank you, I will definitely get some calcium supplements and vitamins
what is tums?
she does seem be quite slow moving and has been for a while but I wouldn't call it lethargic, what can this mean?

She needs more calcium. Which feed do you provide your chickens? Their feed can have a big affect on them too. Make sure their feed has enough calcium inside of it.
thank you!
I'm going to have a look at the feed we get her and change to a better and more organic type and will look at calcium levels

thank you, I will definitely get some calcium supplements and vitamins
what is tums?
she does seem be quite slow moving and has been for a while but I wouldn't call it lethargic, what can this mean?
Hmm.. I am not sure why should be moving slowly....Is her crop full in the morning, right when you let her out of the henhouse? If so, it may be impacted, which is causing her to move slowly.

ultimately, if you can take her to a poultry vet, that would be great.

Tums is a nickname for Antacid Tablets :)

Hmm.. I am not sure why should be moving slowly....Is her crop full in the morning, right when you let her out of the henhouse? If so, it may be impacted, which is causing her to move slowly.

ultimately, if you can take her to a poultry vet, that would be great.

Tums is a nickname for Antacid Tablets :)
thank you! I will see if I can take her. She isn't at mine at the moment but when I see her soon I'll check. she has never been a particularly lively chicken but I will keep a close eye.

Back
Top Bottom