Shell less eggs and dirty/bloody vent

Kme6713

Hatching
Apr 29, 2022
Hello. I have a 2 year old leghorn that seems normal other than she is laying eggs with either really thin shells or no shell at all. Now her vent is really dirty and has blood. I’ll attach a picture. I have 5 other chickens that are all fine and don’t have these symptoms. They’ve been eating the same thing since they got layer feed. The poop also seems normal. I’m not sure if this is vent gleet because I haven’t seen anything about vent gleet mentioning the egg laying I mentioned above. She hasn’t had any trauma and our weather hasn’t been drastic. Please help!! I feel bad for my girl :( thank you!
4295A2A6-4909-4730-B153-7D45310B9CEF.jpeg
7E24496F-FC49-4DED-8B30-46B0204C1DD2.jpeg

It would be good to get her vent area cleaned up with a warm soapy soak inside, and then when it is dry, take another picture. She may have a reproductive disorder, and shell-less eggs can break inside. I would give some calcium with vitamin D tablet once a day for 3 days into her beak to swallow. Are you feeding layer feed and offering crushed oyster shell for calcium? Vent gleet is a fungal infection affecting the digestive tract, and it causes an unusual bad odor. Droppings will scald the vent area, with loss of feathers, and there may be a continuous drippage of urates and poop. Just because she is having diarrhea doesn’t necessarily mean vent gleet.

She is acting fine! I’m going to clean it up today when my husband gets home. She does eat layer feed and have oyster shells in a separate bowl for picking. I don’t smell anything out of the ordinary. What kind of calcium and vitamin d tablets do you buy? Thank you for responding!

Update: we tried to clean her but she has some really hard poop stuck. We’ll have to try again tomorrow. I did get some gunk cleaned off. She was in the nesting box probably trying to lay another egg. Hopefully she can pass one and I can get her cleaned up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom