Shell less eggs. How long to wait?

SheaLoner

Crowing
Feb 27, 2020
Upstate Ny
I've got a new flock, pullets started laying about a month ago. Two of my girls will lay shell less eggs. They have access to oyster shell, eggshell on ocasion, and are on a layer feed as of last week.
They are laying a shell less egg almost daily for 2 weeks now. How long do I wait for them to "figure it out" before I track them down to cull?

There's no reason to cull them. It will take about 2 months before they're bodies get adjusted to laying eggs. You just have to give them some time.

I figured itd be a while until they settled but was not sure on a time line. These are potentially going to be breed stock, so I might track and mark to see if they are worth keeping.

First flock. Hatchery/breeder ordered New Hampshires. I was told to restrict their feed some when growing to get them to lay properly, the suspect hens are pigs. The flock is eating OS but I'm not certain on each individual. I do mix some into their feed 1-2 a week.

I was told to restrict their feed some when growing to get them to lay properly
What exactly were you told to do..... and by whom?
Did you raise them from day old chicks?
From a reputable hatchery(which one) or a backyard breeder?

Last edited:
From Arts Hatchery through Freedom Ranger. They are from a worked meat line and it shows. Free choice feed would have seen them a few weeks behind the cx in size.

Back
Top Bottom