shell less eggs, molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yyz0yyz0, Oct 15, 2014.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Hello all,
    Over the past week or so I've gotten 3 eggs with no shells under the roost in the Sweet pdz, could this be because of Molting?

I have 7 wyandotte hens maybe 18mo old, one of them is going through a serious molt(looked horrible but feathers are coming back now). Could it be because of the molt that I'm seeing an egg with no shell?

I feed layer pellets and they have oyster shell mixed with crushed egg shells available 24/7. They also get out to free range several times a week and I feed them prepcook scraps from the kitchen where I work, lots of melon and pepper seeds, lettuce and assorted vegetable trimmings.

I'm hoping it's due to the molt but at this point I just dont' know

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Back2Roots

Back2Roots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    From what I've read, I would say that molting is definitely contributing to your hen's shell-less eggs.
    A couple of suggestions that might help:
    1. Since feathers are made up of mostly protein, can you try to increase the amount of protein your girl is getting while she is replacing her feathers? A little bit of canned cat food now and then, for example?
    2. A lot of a hen's nutritional reserves are being used up to rebuild during a molt, so maybe some additional calcium in her diet, such as yogurt, might help to get her eggshells back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by