Shell-less eggs or something else?

I have a feeling I'm going to end up being forced to cull her. I went to check them late morning and someone else had been going after Cadbury's comb. I got the bleeding stopped, she didn't even really fight me. I swapped her out with the original bully so she could be separated. No interest in the food or water I placed in front of her.

I would separate her in a dog crate with her own food and water while you are treating her in this weak state. Being in view of the rest of the flock would be better for her, and if she gets better it would make reintegration easier. But you may need to bring her inside, that is up to you. Culling her if she seems to be suffering at any time would be your choice.

I never tore down their little grow out coop/pen. Cadbury is bedded down in there with some thick shavings and food and water within easy reach. It's in sight of the rest of the girls' run.

I never tore down their little grow out coop/pen. Cadbury is bedded down in there with some thick shavings and food and water within easy reach. It's in sight of the rest of the girls' run.
I'm sorry this is happening to your hen. I have had one of mine act like this who laid only a yolk. If I wasn't there right after the other chickens would of ate all of it. She then developed an infection which we treated with an antibiotic. Separating her really helped and feeding scrambled eggs, yogurt or basically whatever I could get her to eat. I hope she recovers soon. I thought mine was a breath from death and she pulled through.

Cadbury is still with us. She was very lethargic and not much interested in eating or drinking for a couple days. Today I came home from work and she was up walking around in her solitary confinement pen. Its the first time I've seen her out of the little coop since I moved her to it. She was also interested in and ate some of the cracked corn that's her favorite treat.

I had my dog to my vet for a regular appointment yesterday and managed to talk the receptionist into an appointment for Cadbury on Thursday. Even tho she's perking up a bit, I still want to get her checked out. She's definitely not 100% better. Tail's still down, she's still puffed up, moving slow and also has some nasty green diarrhea.

1708466728680.png

I tried scrambled egg. She ate a bit but didnt seem too crazy about it and didnt even bother to eat it all. The only thing I've found that she really really really likes is cracked corn. I might try soaking some pellets to make a mush and see if she likes that.

Most of my chickens have always liked moistened chicken feed. I may even smear a little plain yogurt or canned tuna and juice for interest. Corn by itself has only 7% protein and is not well balanced.

I give mine mash on the liquidy side and top it with meal worms and a dab of yogurt to entice her to eat when she is having any problems and it usually works.

Back
Top Bottom