Shell Less Eggs

retiredmary

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
I have an ISA Brown who has started laying shell less eggs. She started about 2 weeks ago. She laid 5 in a row and then 2 normal eggs. Now we are back to shell less eggs. They are always laid sometime between the time they hit the roost and when they come out in the morning. The two normal eggs appear to have normal shells. I haven't noticed a difference when cracking or using the eggs. Oyster shell is out in two containers. I have checked her for mites, lice etc. She looks fine. I am waiting on some Verm X (all natural) from the UK (slow boat evidently) so that we can continue to use the eggs while deworming. The one thing I have noticed is that she is losing a few small feathers. Her appetite seems to be normal and she still enjoys freedom in the back yard. She gets a mix of 20% pellets mixed with chicken scratch (4 to 1 ratio). We are in Colorado. Low temperatures have bounced between 10 and 25 at night. Does anyone have a clue what I am dealing with?

Treats consist of mealworms and pumpkin seeds. On occasion they get lettuce or spinach. They usually get something every day. I would say the average amount is about a cup of mealworms for 3 chickens and for the pumpkin seeds just a handful. The greens are less frequent with a handful of torn up greens. Rarely, they get scraps from the table.

She gets a mix of 20% pellets mixed with chicken scratch (4 to 1 ratio).
Treats consist of mealworms and pumpkin seeds. On occasion they get lettuce or spinach. They usually get something every day. I would say the average amount is about a cup of mealworms for 3 chickens and for the pumpkin seeds just a handful. The greens are less frequent
I would not mix the scratch with the pellets.
Limit "treats" which includes scratch, mealworms, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Since she's laying soft shelled egg and is a production bird I would give her 1/2 tablet Caltrate that also contains D3 once a day for 3-5 days to see if that helps.

I would not mix the scratch with the pellets.
Limit "treats" which includes scratch, mealworms, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Since she's laying soft shelled egg and is a production bird I would give her 1/2 tablet Caltrate that also contains D3 once a day for 3-5 days to see if that helps.
I guess I should have mentioned also most of the eggs have the shell separate from the rest of the egg. I will try the caltrate and reduce the treats. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom