Shell-less eggs

tlb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
TX
Our barred plymouth rock has laid 10 or so shell-less eggs over the last month.

Is this a sign of some sort of sickness or disease?

She's on a regular diet of layer pellets, and I mix in some crushed oyster shell.

We give all 3 of our hens (the other two are production reds) leftover bread crusts, fruit, and other appropriate scraps (cornbread, cantaloupe, cucumber). We also let the hens roam our yard for a couple of hours each day during which time they will eat earwigs and nibble on green grass.

Our barred rock is around a year old...she started laying on January 6, 2009, and has been a very good layer, except for the shell-less eggs.

I should also note that as of late (the last month) our barred rock has had watery poop. Not all of the time, but fairly often.

Thanks for your input.

Also, if you grind up some egg shells from your other chickens with some scrambled egg - for her if you can, it may help nature along and get some calcium and protein into her. Some birds do not like oyster shells... but most chickens cannot resist the scrambled egg. Make sure the shells are small enough so they cannot see them as a shell.
I just lost a Bantam Cochin to the effects of a leathery egg, not to create doom or gloom, but sometimes these eggs with no shells "implode" causing the yolk and white to flood the abdomen.

So, if some time this occurs and you find her passed away, there is nothing we could do. Also some hens go through this during their lives- as I've had other birds have leathery eggs.
Good luck and keep trying all you can. Be it a checking for worms/parasites, see if you can have a vet do some testing.

I have a hen that has ALWAYS layed a shell-less egg, and no amount of oyster shell or ground shell ahs made any difference. They are even on top quality layer pellets and it has changed nothing. I think chickens get internal deformities sometimes just like we do.

Hopefully because your hen is young it may just be an imaturity thing rather than a structural problem.

After checking for parasites, I would try a little cod liver oil. I soaked some small pieces of bread and gave to my hen. She has not had another one since. It is suppossed to help them absorb and process the calium and vitamins and help them get into sync......

I have a hen that is a year old and has layed all thru our cold winter. In the last month she has layed 4 shell less eggs. I put egg shells in the microwave to get them dry and when I get 8 or 9 I put them in my blender. It makes them into a powder that I then add to plain yogurt and flax oil. It has now stopped so IM sure she needed some calcium.

Back
Top Bottom