shell-less eggs

hillcountrychickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
Dripping Springs, TX
I have a barred rock hen who is 2. She and the others have been fine. Suddenly she's laying shelless eggs. I noticed (may be a unrelated) that the red skin is showing more under her wattle around the very top of her head. I noticed her bottom looked a little "different" today, so picked her up. She's not picked up alot so she got frightened and I felt something warm slide down my leg and down into my boot. Ah, of course, another shelless egg. The eggs have been like this since they started laying regular again this spring. I let nature take its course over the winter.

Another hen is laying just odd eggs. Shells are okay, but shapes are varying and not typical. Do I have sick chickens? They are very well taken care of without excess.

It could be from a lack of calcium but it could be caused by other things. Offer higher quality layer feed and up the calcium in the diet. Offering oyster shell free choice might help too. Its probably somethig else though since its only effecting one hen, hopefully someone else will come along and know more.

I have to agree with picco.....oyster shell...and good quality feed. Maybe give them some egg shells too. just smash them to tiny bits..and offer it to them. They will only eat what they need. Good luck with them, I have never personally seen this happen.

Thank you for the two replies on my shell-less eggs! I am thinking something else may be wrong, but will try your suggestions. Just FYI, a am starting to give the hens the milk from my kids breakfast cereal that is left in the bowls. I figure that is good calcium too. For all of your reference, I will try the oyster shells and different feed, and let you know what happens. I am sure this will come up again with someone else and at least we can all learn from it.

If you have the set-up to let your hens out to range, try that also. Eating lots of beetle-type bugs is a natural calcium boost, and fun for the girls!

The kids who live down the road from me love to visit my chickens, and get a big kick out of turning over the rocks in my stone wall, putting the crawlies they find in a bucket, then dropping them in the pen with the girls. It's amazing what will entertain kids!

I just did a search for shell-less egg and found hillcountrychickens was having the same problem. I've never seen such a thing. I am feeding them Nutrena Naturi:Wise Layer. I also give them yogurt everyday. I am going to try the egg shells since they didn't like the oyster shells I bought from the feed store. I hope she is not sick.

Back
Top Bottom