shell-less eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JML72, Feb 19, 2013.

1. JML72

JML72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Hi all - I'm running into an issue with my layers - every few days the eggs I find in a box are covered in dried yolk and shavings/nesting material. At first I thought I had an egg eater. But there is no sign of shell pieces in the box. I also think that if I had one or more eating eggs, they wouldn't necessarily smear it all over other eggs. Also, wouldn't a chicken then eat the yolk-covered eggs as well?

Do I have on that's just laying shell-less? And if so, would oyster shell supplement help with that?

Thanks in advance...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Certainly it's time to put some oyster shell in the coop. Offer it separately so they can eat what they want. You micht also put a Tums in their water a couple of times, as a boost. This is not something you want to do every day.

There is more than one cause of shell-less aggs but definitely worth a try.

3. JML72

JML72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks FW - I'll try that out. It's not all the time that it happens, but twice now in 7 days (just started). I figures it wouldn't hurt. Just came here to ask about ideas before I jumped in on my own [​IMG]

If anyone else has insights as well I'll be happy to listen!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've noticed it more with new layers, and birds that have just started laying again after a molt. With mine it's just worked itself out. I agree, it makes a huge, nasty mess in the nest box!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by