1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shell-less......!?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by creekrocket, Sep 14, 2013.

1. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    This egg is from my little gals....they started laying this past week, but haven't got it all together yet... I'm assuming that they are either too young or not enough calcium.?
    What do you quail experts think?
    [​IMG]

2. quail31

quail31 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Winchester,UK
    YES. ive had this problem before. i think u may just have to wait to see what happpens. If you still get eggs like this in a weeks time then there maybe a problem with the calcium or their diet in general. !
    Hope this helps

quail31

3. sphanges

sphanges Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    It's pretty common when they first start to lay. Give them a bit of oyster grit or similar each day and it should go away fairly soon :) I even occasionally have an adult established layer give a shellless egg or two while all the other girls in her cage are laying fine and have plenty of calcium. They soon go back to normal.

Cheers
    B

4. AK Chicken Guy

AK Chicken Guy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Any idea what's going on here

5. DanieJ

DanieJ New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    NC
    well my Dad (a dyed in the wool Bird man) always says one lay does not a problem make. See if it is a one off issue before you go treating problems you may not have. He actually has a baudier saying not fit for mixed company but it gets the point home a little faster LOL

6. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I'm glad I saw this before it happened to me. I guarantee that would have freaked me out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by