Shell still attached to rear of chick by large mass---- HELP!

Dree

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
I am a newbie and our last chick to hatch has the bottom of it's shell attached by what seems to be a large mass of tissue protruding from the anus. It isn't just the umbilical cord. It is still moving around and was hatched about 90min ago. Can anyone help me?????
Thanks so much,
Dree

If you leave the egg attached it will pull that out. It's the intestines. i had this happen to a chick and once it gets pulled out there is no saving it.

Get that chick out of the brooder. Find a place close to the navel that is thinner than the other parts and snip it with the scissors. If there is a little bit protruding, don't worry, it will shrink back in. But do not let it get pulled out anymore.

Let us know what happens.

Thank you so much Colleen for your response. I did what you said and I have it separated from the rest of the chicks. I will let you know what happens. How long do you think it will take before it shrinks back in?
Thanks again,
Dree

It should shrink significantly within 24 hours. Even if you have a little bit still hanging out, it will dry up and fall off on it's own. Probably good to keep it separated for a bit. You don't want another chick pulling at it until it has a chance to heal well.

Unfortunately our chick didn't make it.
sad.png
Thanks for your help.
Dree

Back
Top Bottom