Shell too thick HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dusky, Dec 23, 2010.

1. dusky

dusky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm on Day 16, and am currently running the incubator dry because I have very large eggs left. Out of the entire dozen I got only 3 developing. Unfortunately they're huge eggs. Two have air cells that seem about right for Day 16, but the third egg has such a thick shell it does not seem to be reducing any faster. Will running the incubator dry for Day 17 be a problem for the other two? I don't know what level the humidity is at. My house is pretty tight and dry. About how much volume of the egg 'evaporates' if the incubator is run dry ? They're not at Day 18 air cell sizes yet, (between 14/18 according to this picture: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/contents/04-05UMissCareIncubation1.gif) I'm guessing since the air cell is still so small on the thick shelled one it's likely the chick will drown. :\\ I live in the Los Angeles region - it had been pouring rain for the past week but it's finally stopped.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am in Cali too in the high desert. STOP FREAKING OUT!! K, that said, I think you are ok. Wait. Yes WAIT. Til lockdown to determine what eggs have to go. These things are alot more hearty than we humans give them credit for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by