Shelled Egg Encased in Membrane

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
My Easter Egger, Sunshine, is my most cuddly chicken. She loves to stick her head in my armpit or underneath her fellow chickens. She’s a sweetheart! I’m
afraid she is also unwell. Last night she went to bed early and this morning I found this under the roost. I found a similar one awhile back… at first I thought it had a bunch of calcium deposits until I started washing it off. This time, the membrane was a bit more obvious.

What is going on here? Is a shelled egg traveling backward, getting a second membrane, and then coming through? Poor Sunshine. This can’t be good. After the video is a pic of the smooth, shelled egg along with some of what was outside the shell.

95EE027E-4CB6-4214-B67A-92AF03972CE4.jpeg

It can happen occasionally where an egg gets into the shell gland, and another egg begins moving along, and the first egg goes backward in reverse peristalsis, swallowing the first egg in a egg within an egg phenomenon. But an egg within a membrane is more rare. I am not sure if it is salpingitis that causes that, or if it is just a one time problem.

Well, this sweet love of a chicken died yesterday. She seemed great during free range time after work the day before, but was in very bad shape in the morning. She died within half an hour of opening the coop in the morning. I feel she was waiting for me. I sent her body to UC Davis for necropsy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom