Shelless Egg. Only one out of 5 ducks.

Pamelasflock

Chirping
May 21, 2022
I have 5 ducks. 2 Pekins... Lola and Tulip. 2 Khaki Campbells... MaryAnn and Wanda. And one runner... Olive. Tulip, one of the Pekins, and Olive the runner were adopted from a rescue. Not sure of their age but pretty sure young because I have noticed the Pekin especially has grown in the 6 months they have been with me. My other ducks are all great layers, no issues. However, Tulip and Olive's eggs have been weird. They just started laying a couple months ago and one lays a little egg.....really white and the other lays a shelless or super soft shelled egg. Not every day either. Both of them are very sporadic since they started laying. Maybe I get an egg from those two 2 or 3 times a week. They were surrendered together so I am pretty sure same age. I am not sure who is laying the shelless soft egg but with the size of the membrane I am assuming its Tulip. I give my ducks brewers yeast, calcium supplement and mix some purina layers feed with their flock raiser duck pellets. They also have free serve calcium available to them. They eat limited peas and black solider fly larvae for treats daily but their bulk of meals is from their feed. They also forage on the property when I can be outside with them daily in the spring and summer. Why do I have only one duck with egg issues? What else could it be besides calcium? They all act healthy and active. Any suggestions?

So sweet of you to rescue these 2 ducks. If possible Get some calcium gluconate and start giving the 1 ml daily over a special treat just for these 2 1ml each. Sometimes they just need something extra to help them get things worked out.
Sure sounds like they have all they need to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom