Shellless and membraneless eggs

morsekathan

Crowing
13 Years
May 12, 2011
Maryland
My black Austerlorp was my best layer but now she's only laying shelless or membraneless eggs. This has been going on for about 5 weeks. She's a little over a year. At first I thought it was just stress, as the ladies survived a raccoon attack. She lost some feathers, but she was alright and her sisters started laying the next day. She might have even laid an egg or two after the attack. She looks ok and seems very happy. And I think it started with some really soft shelled eggs. I had two or three of them, but they may have been from another hen. It was hard to tell. My other two hen's eggs are fine now.

Here's what I've tried. Upping her calcium. The hens totally free range in my half-acre lot and get pellets from Southern Feed and some organic mix from a local feed source. They also get a handful of "Rocking Rooster" - a scratch grain mix with some corn and they get yogurt mixed with oats and some cheese. This is their normal diet. I've added oyster shells and eggs shells daily diet in separate dish. I've also been offering them pepper flakes.

Still no change in the eggs.

Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom