Shelter boxes

TigerLand

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2015
North Louisiana
I have my coturnix quail in a 5'x3' cage with wire floor. I have hay/straw inside to cover the wire floor and give them something to snuggle in if they get to cold. It's supposed to freeze at night for the next week or 2 and I'm afraid they might get too cold. I've researched quite a bit and most say with hay or something to protect them they should be fine. I'm thinking about building some shelter boxes I can put inside the cage for them to sleep in at night or just for the really cold winter nights. Anyone have any ideas or have pics of something similar you have for your quail? Thanks.

I have my coturnix quail in a 5'x3' cage with wire floor. I have hay/straw inside to cover the wire floor and give them something to snuggle in if they get to cold. It's supposed to freeze at night for the next week or 2 and I'm afraid they might get too cold. I've researched quite a bit and most say with hay or something to protect them they should be fine. I'm thinking about building some shelter boxes I can put inside the cage for them to sleep in at night or just for the really cold winter nights. Anyone have any ideas or have pics of something similar you have for your quail? Thanks.

Maybe you could get a big tissue box and just FILL it with wood shavings and then cut a "u" shape in one side so it can snuggle.http://mommyiscoocoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Picnik+collage1.jpg Click on that. So like that but upside down and not as tall. Then just go crazy filling it with shavings so it can snuggle and be warm.

Thank you, I actually have them lots of straw yesterday evening and put a couple deep wooden boxes inside. They don't trust the boxes yet but it was really cold last night and they did fine coveyed up with the hay/straw

Maybe I just worry about my supper too much lol. Supper or not, I can't imagine freezing to death. I keep all my birds as comfortable as possible.

That's pretty much how big these wooden boxes are. Maybe a little longer than a case. Thanks! That would probably be much better, we get a few of those and instead of trying to keep them clean I'll just toss the dirty one and replace with new. Perfect!

Back
Top Bottom