SHE'S GONE IT'S MY FAULT ......UPDATE SHE'S HOME

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Today the sun is shinning and there is a slight breeze - great day for cleaning house and doing yard work - well in the middle of all this DH calls me and tells me he wants to take me on a date tonight ( we have been having marriage problems etc.. ) so I am now trying to get the house/yard work done ASAP so I can get myself cleaned up and dolled up , well I go to feed my 2 yr old peach faced lovebird - who has one of those cages where you have to liftup a seed cover to get to her bowls - I feed her and go about my day I open the front door and go outside leaving the door open - something I must do 1000 times a day - well right above my head I hear the little flapping of my lovebirds wings as she flys right out the door -- I look at her cage and realize I FORGOT to put the seed cover back - she pushed the bowl out of its place and got out of the cage.

This is NOT a people friendly bird - hates to be held - I saw her fly from tree to tree but staying pretty low I can get right up to her and she takes off.
So I got her cage and placed it out side with the door open with plenty of food and water. I have seen her land in the chicken yard twice and have been able to get a hair away from picking her up before she takes off again.

I was able to hear her in the trees, but now it is getting harder to hear her or see her, I placed her cage on the ground in the chicken yard where she has landed a few times - but I really dont hold much hope of her coming back.

I have tons of birds around my house everything from Doves, Bluejays, Sparrows, and some kind of black bird the size of a small banty hen.

What are her chances out in the wild if she never comes home?

If I was not in such a rush I would have remembered to put that stupid seed cover thing back
hit.gif

Julie

Last edited:
AWWWW! I'm sorry! She may come back...good thinking at putting her cage outside for her. I would say wait until dusk, watch her & see where she goes. You may be able to grab her out of a tree after dark (they don't see well in the dark & usually won't fly, either.)

If you manage to capture her--clip her wings.

I did that with my parakeet after a couple of close calls...

Y'know, you might want to try putting her open cage out on the front porch or somewhere she can see/find it and get back in it. Its a long shot, but you never know.

If she lands again try using a net rather than catching her with your hands. If you have something soft like a butterfly net that might work.

Hopefully she'll see her cage and go right back in when it starts getting dark.

well her cage is right out in the open - and she has landed a few times in the chicken run so I put the cage close to where she has already landed a few times - hoping that if she does it again she will see her cage and go in - I also have her cage in a spot I can see it from the bathroom window so I am going to watch and listen for her and if she does go back in I will be able to see her.

I have had her since she was 8 weeks old - and in the 2 years she has been alive I never had her wings clipped - just did not think about - well i guess I will from now on -

Julie

** UPDATE **

I have been chasing this little bird all over the darn place - even when it started to rain with hail mixed in I was out there. Last time I was able to get close to her was around 5:00 - DH came home at 5:30 he saw Cupid near a neighbors shed and followed her in - by 6:00 she was back in her cage
rant.gif
now I have to listen to that man go on about how he got her for the reat of my life
th.gif

oh well at least she is hope - safe and sound - tomorrow we will clip wings
wink.png
I dont want to stress her any more than she already is

Julie

I'm glad this has a happy ending.
smile.png
Let him brag about catching the bird - it probably made his day to catch her for you.
wink.png

yes we did get to go out - after we both gave Cupid a good scolding LOL

our date started with a trip TS to get a bag chicken feed - and DH went straight to the chicks and we were JUST LOOKING and I saw the cutiest bantys that have a slight blue color to them and DH boxed them up and headed back to register !!!

so of course we had to head back to the house to drop off three new babies - LOL ( i will post pics in the morning )

we finally made it a nice steak house had a wonderful dinner

what a day LOL

Julie

Back
Top Bottom