She's Still Sick... Please Help

Madie'sOddFlock

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Maine
So I have this EE hen who's coming up to about a year old. About 3 weeks ago I found her lying on her side in the coop. I picked her back up on her feet and she seemed fine. The next day the same thing happened, except she wouldn't stand up at all. So I brought her inside, pumped her full of water and high protein food. All the while I was doing basic research on whatever it was. It's safe to say that I still have no idea.
I ended up warming up some VetRx and rubbing it under her wings and on her comb. The next day she was back up on her feet and flew out of her tote, then roamed the house. So, I put her back outside. Every few days since then I find her on her side in the morning, I put her in a plastic produce crate since it sort of keeps her separated from the flock but allows her to rejoin them when she wants. Every night she's been either up with everyone else or in a nesting box on the floor... This morning she was walking around and following everyone else to food and water, but she's covered in a thin layer of mud, her eyes looked droopy, and all of her feathers bristled, plus her wings were hanging at least slightly limp at her sides...
She's now inside, eating kitten kibble and drinking a mix of durostat, vitamins, electrolytes, and VetRx, while she waits for me to get a bath drawn up for her... I don't know what else to do but I'd love, more than anything else right now, to save her.
Thank you for any of your help,
Madie.

UPDATE: The other chickens also haven't gone after her at all, are perfectly happy eating and drinking right alongside her, etc.

Last edited:
UPDATE: She's doing better again. I put her back outside on Sunday and she's been doing pretty good. Today she ran for the first time and without stumbling whereas before she couldn't walk without stumbling. She also is now using her disability to her advantage, she slid across the ice underneath everyone else to get to the center of the corn that I tossed out for them...
The only thing I know that's changed since yesterday(since she seems to be doing miraculously better than the rest of the last few weeks) is that yesterday I accidentally pretty much dropped a 50 lbs bag of grain on her... I caught it with my foot sort of, but I was so worried that I hurt her and now she just seems better.

Ok, so I want to share a success story of hope for you.

I bought some pullets and checked them all over for health issues.... all except 1, as the seller put it in the box before i could.

turned out she was born with a disabled leg. she lay on her side, not eating, not drinking, surviving on electrolytes only.

i coaxed her back to health so she would eat mashed food. after a few weeks, she ate and drank by herself.
then she stated hobbling around.

she's never stopped limping, and she's a bit of a doormat, but she's happy now and lays bigger eggs than anyone else!

She's also a fiend for treats and snuggles.

Don't give up hope.

Believe me, I'm not one to give up hope for just about any animal. I once kept a rooster with a rotated tibia as a house chicken because I couldn't bear the thought of doing anything else. We've also had a house chicken who lived with us for about 2 years because she broke her leg. And last year I hatched a chick with horrible double spraddle leg(her name's Flat, that's how bad it was), but you'd never know now even though everyone else told me to give up hope.

Back
Top Bottom