Shetland Hens

If they're from Scotland, I bet they're cold hardy! Tee hee!

I'm guessing they are too but I thought I'd ask. Heat and humidity are a bigger concern for me. Summers can be brutal in the Deep South. They are lovely hens though.... A little expensive but interesting. I would love to see pictures of some, if anyone has them.

I'm guessing they are too but I thought I'd ask. Heat and humidity are a bigger concern for me. Summers can be brutal in the Deep South. They are lovely hens though.... A little expensive but interesting. I would love to see pictures of some, if anyone has them.
My stars, yes - the humidity! The South is gorgeous, but so humid! Only one place I've visited outdoes the South for humidity, and that was Southeast Asia.

I agree with @MysteryChicken. They look a lot like Icelandics.

You might be able to email Greenfire and ask.

My stars, yes - the humidity! The South is gorgeous, but so humid! Only one place I've visited outdoes the South for humidity, and that was Southeast Asia.

I agree with @MysteryChicken. They look a lot like Icelandics.

You might be able to email Greenfire and ask.

My poor Buff Orpingtons seem quite miserable in the summer. I have lots of places for them to dust bath and LOTS OF SHADE but they still suffer. It would be very unfair of me to buy a bird that is built for the cool highlands and plop it in the middle of 100+ degree weather with 100% humidity for 2 months.

A local breeder here just started offering them, not sure where he got the stock, likely Greenfire as they do ship to Hawaii (very few places do...) He is asking $50 straight run so they are expensive. I would love one, but not sure I want to take the chances of getting a cockerel at that price. I live at 2500 ft, so fairly cool here, but the breeder is on the more tropical side of the island, so temperature, I imagine is not a real problem. 😊

Interesting! and a very beautiful bird!
So the sequence of development of the breed is / was:
1) auraucana (or other blue egg laying south american breed) in some amount
2) spanish chickens (andalusian? Penedesenca? other?)
3) 500 years of selective evolution/breeding to survive in the shetland islands.
But I don't have any experience with the landrace/breed, nor know anyone who does.

Back
Top Bottom