Shiny egg

joesandy1822

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2012
My duck, Georgie, is on Baytril for bumblefoot, so I haven’t been eating her eggs. I’ve been blowing them out to make crafts with. This morning, after emptying and cleaning up the egg as always, I noticed something very strange. The egg from this morning is shiny! The other 18 from previous days are a regular, matte (dull) egg. I’m just curious what could cause this. It looks like somebody buffed it! It even feels shiny.

Is the shell thick as the others? it could be she is finishing up this laying cycle and that is the reason. Has she been on Baytril for the whole 18 days? I have never heard of going that long usually 5-7 days max.

Is the shell thick as the others? it could be she is finishing up this laying cycle and that is the reason. Has she been on Baytril for the whole 18 days? I have never heard of going that long usually 5-7 days max.
Good morning! The shell seems just as thick, maybe even thicker.

Regarding the Baytril, she had surgery on June 27 (vet), and she was prescribed Baytril in tablet form for 10 days. The vet (not a bird vet) did not prescribe the right dose, only about half the recommended dose. So once she finished that, she was off it until July 15. I then put her on the proper dose of the liquid, because her symptoms seemed worse. I gave that to her for 6 days. (Yesterday was day 6.) i am not planning on giving more. The foot looks good, and her limp is improving daily.

Thanks for clarifying. Just wouldn't want her to get yeast on top of what she has been dealing with.
That's great everything is looking better for her.

Here is a photo of what her regular eggs look like compared to yesterday’s shiny egg.

Attachments

• 0AF63402-017E-4342-BE41-491C24A28D67.jpeg
    0AF63402-017E-4342-BE41-491C24A28D67.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom