Ship-and-Adopt-A-Long!

That fibro EE is just so beautiful btw! Good choice! I wish you lived a bit closer to me! I could give you one of my OEs that are soon to hatch! I have lavender Ameraucana roosters over Marans and Orpingtons. So I will get varying shades of green egg layers I’m hoping. I bet your broody silkies will take baby Polish when she’s ready. I had broody silkies and I gave them 2 Polish babies and kept 4 inside with me…and then gave them to the silkies about 4 weeks later and added d’Uccle chicks, a bantam Brahma-Cochin cross and 2 Ameraucana pullets and they accepted all of them and are now my chick daycare providers 😆 Silkies are such great mommas!

I’m so sorry you lost the EE babies! But I also want to add just like the others that you shouldn’t feel at all bad about them having a tough time. If you hadn’t ordered them, someone else would have and the end would have been the same or worse! Most are not dedicated enough to give so much love and care to them! I try to comfort myself when I have babies that hatch and don’t thrive. I hold them and baby them and give them lots of attention and love, knowing their time is short. You are an amazing chicken momma! ❤️
Thank you for your kind words, friend. I'm still reeling a bit from the losses, but can't stay sad for too long when I've got a flock to attend to.

That fibro EE is just so beautiful btw! Good choice! I wish you lived a bit closer to me! I could give you one of my OEs that are soon to hatch! I have lavender Ameraucana roosters over Marans and Orpingtons. So I will get varying shades of green egg layers I’m hoping. I bet your broody silkies will take baby Polish when she’s ready. I had broody silkies and I gave them 2 Polish babies and kept 4 inside with me…and then gave them to the silkies about 4 weeks later and added d’Uccle chicks, a bantam Brahma-Cochin cross and 2 Ameraucana pullets and they accepted all of them and are now my chick daycare providers 😆 Silkies are such great mommas!
I'd love to take an OE off your hands! And I love chick daycare! Haha! How adorable!

How are they??
Oh my gosh! I've been so caught up with the Polish and my duck who is having egg issues that I forgot to post.

The 3 who are outside are doing great! The co-parenting mamas are fantastic. The babies see them both as mamas, so sometimes they will all be under Violet, sometimes Dandelion, sometimes both. They are still in the grow out section of the main coop. Most of the big birds pay them no mind, but my Naked Neck bristles whenever she sees them and tries to go after the mamas through the wire. That gas me concerned. We are going to let them out in the foraging yard this weekend to see how it goes.

The CCL, Laurel, is super healthy and vigorous! The other two, Marigold the CM and Lotus the fibro EE, are beautiful little birds!

And then there's Myrtle who is the family fave! She is now our house chicken. She lost the use of one eye after her infection. She is TINY. I've begun weighing her daily. She is now up to 95 g - about 50 g lighter than her smallest sibling. She looks awful because of her ordeal: one closed eye, poor feathering, bald spots, an unexplained black toe. But she's a friendly little thing.

She gets gamebird starter for now (to help with feathers and to put on some weight) and daily vitamins, just until she's a bit healthier. She also gets "sunshine therapy" every morning for vitamin D. She is finally starting to grow feathers along her shoulders whereas her sisters are almost 3/4 feathered.

It's hard to get pics of the girls that are outside because the mamas are protective. I'll try to get some later after work. But here's Myrtle, who is eating breakfast while I finish my coffee.

Her good side:
20220525_082020.jpg

Her less good side:
20220525_081845.jpg

Oh my gosh! I've been so caught up with the Polish and my duck who is having egg issues that I forgot to post.

The 3 who are outside are doing great! The co-parenting mamas are fantastic. The babies see them both as mamas, so sometimes they will all be under Violet, sometimes Dandelion, sometimes both. They are still in the grow out section of the main coop. Most of the big birds pay them no mind, but my Naked Neck bristles whenever she sees them and tries to go after the mamas through the wire. That gas me concerned. We are going to let them out in the foraging yard this weekend to see how it goes.

The CCL, Laurel, is super healthy and vigorous! The other two, Marigold the CM and Lotus the fibro EE, are beautiful little birds!

And then there's Myrtle who is the family fave! She is now our house chicken. She lost the use of one eye after her infection. She is TINY. I've begun weighing her daily. She is now up to 95 g - about 50 g lighter than her smallest sibling. She looks awful because of her ordeal: one closed eye, poor feathering, bald spots, an unexplained black toe. But she's a friendly little thing.

She gets gamebird starter for now (to help with feathers and to put on some weight) and daily vitamins, just until she's a bit healthier. She also gets "sunshine therapy" every morning for vitamin D. She is finally starting to grow feathers along her shoulders whereas her sisters are almost 3/4 feathered.

It's hard to get pics of the girls that are outside because the mamas are protective. I'll try to get some later after work. But here's Myrtle, who is eating breakfast while I finish my coffee.

Her good side:
View attachment 3123115

Her less good side:
View attachment 3123117
Poor sweet baby! I hope she continues to be strong, and I'm glad the others are doing well!

Her good side:
View attachment 3123115

Her less good side:
View attachment 3123117
I'm sorry about Myrtle's eye, is she able to get navigate well with just one eye? I had a one eyed roo once and he ran with his head tilted where his good eye faced foward.
I just hope we can get Myrtle a friend at some point. I'm kinda thinking we can adopt a special needs bantam later on down the road and keep them together in the house.
that would be nice for her, most people don't think about adopting chickens, especially special needs ones.

Back
Top Bottom